Elon Musk said, on Friday, that Twitter plans to restore several controversial accounts that were previously banned or suspended, but added that the company has not yet made a decision regarding the account of former President Donald Trump.
This announcement came as a follow up to tweet In it, Musk tried to explain what the platform’s content moderation policies would be under his leadership.
(TWTR) “Politics is freedom of speech, not freedom of access,” Musk said in the tweet, echoing an approach that is something of an industry standard. “Negative/hate tweets will be unposted and maxed out, so no advertising or other revenue for Twitter.”
Musk said controversial Canadian publisher Jordan Peterson and right-leaning satirical website Babylon Bee, who were previously banned from the platform, will have their accounts restored. He added that comedian Kathy Griffin was, too suspended from the platform earlier this month for impersonating Musk, her account will be restored.
The billionaire Twitter owner previously said he would delay sentencing Trump, who this week announced his plans to run for president in 2024, and other major content-related decisions until content oversight board He was there to help make those calls.
The announcement comes as Musk grapples with the fallout after dozens of Twitter employees chose not to stay with the company after he gave them an ultimatum this week to commit to “very hardcore” work or leave. Users and some employees wondered if the platform could go down after Thursday’s exits, which included key infrastructure engineers as well as important roles in finance, user safety and other areas of the business, according to tweets from the employees.
“Reader. Infuriatingly humble coffee enthusiast. Future teen idol. Tv nerd. Explorer. Organizer. Twitter aficionado. Evil music fanatic.”