Beijing was busy this week welcoming visitors from more than 140 countries around the world, who flocked to attend. The Third Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation is scheduled to be held from October 17 to 18 in Beijing.
This year marks the tenth anniversary of China’s promotion of international cooperation within the framework of the “One Belt Initiative” “One Track”. This article would like to provide information about the strategies and objectives of cooperation. In addition to revealing 10 projects in different regions around the world that are considered “landmarks” or “symbols” of “One Belt Initiative” One Path”
Chinese academic Wang Yiwei, director of international affairs at the People’s University of China, pointed out that by creating “American-style globalization” it does not look like sustainable development. Therefore, China has proposed a broader and more advanced development strategy for international cooperation known as the Belt and Road Initiative, which revives the “old Silk Road” with more Chinese characteristics. It is a new and modern version of the Silk Road. And connect the general public
From the Chinese side, building the Belt and Road is a new strategy for comprehensive opening-up. It is a new strategic framework for marginal diplomacy.
The birth of the “One Belt Initiative, One Track”
In September 2013, President Xi Jinping visited Kazakhstan. During a speech at Nazarbayev University, he noted that “pushing towards closer economic relations will deepen cooperation and expand development in Eurasia. It requires a new and cooperative approach to entry. “Silk Road Economic Belt” To push this idea into reality, this is the Chinese leader’s first presentation of the “Silk Road Economic Belt.”
Later, in October 2013, Xi Jinping attended an informal meeting of leaders of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum. Xi pointed out that in ancient times Southeast Asia is an important center of the “Maritime Silk Road”: China is willing to work with ASEAN countries to enhance maritime cooperation. Develop maritime partnerships and joint establishment “The Maritime Silk Road in the 21st Century”
Therefore, the “Silk Road Economic Belt” and the “21st Century Maritime Silk Road” were merged. One Belt Initiative “One Road” has become a model for regional cooperation that links politics, trade, infrastructure, finance and people in Asia, Africa and Europe.
China has also emphasized that in order to build cooperation on the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, emphasis will be placed on port reform. Shipping lanes and modern maritime transport capabilities This will show that China will not follow the methods of Western powers to expand its influence at sea. Stir up confrontation and colonialism and also don’t follow the wrong path. In the confrontation with the United States to establish naval dominance
China will seek effective ways to avoid the traditional risks of globalization. Building the Belt and Road will bring prosperity to a new and sustainable human society. With the concept of integrating five elements into one (five in one), namely promoting economy, politics, culture, society and creating the environment.
One Belt One Road Initiative It will originate from the Eurasian transport network. An integrated, interconnected three-dimensional system that includes railways, highways, airways and shipping routes. Oil and gas transportation pipelines, communication networks and various transportation lines with these canals or roads will gradually form industrial clusters and then will become an economic corridor. This includes integrated development in the sectors of construction, energy, finance, communications, information, logistics and tourism. Such links would help promote trade. Deepen investment in economic and technical cooperation Create a free trade area and become a giant Eurasian market.
Since the day Xi Jinping announced his vision he has been dedicated to pushing this initiative into reality himself, both planning and pushing various projects forward until they are completed. More than 3,000 partnerships have now been formed.
Let’s take a look at 10 “milestone” projects that clearly demonstrate the rich results of cooperation on various projects under the One Belt Initiative. “One Road” was presented by Chinese official media on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of this initiative.
1) Railway route between China and Laos It is a symbolic project of the “One Belt Initiative”One Road” “Friendship Road” between the two countries that overcomes obstacles in the terrain filled with mountains and rivers. The China-Laos railway was finally opened in December 2021 starting from the northern city of Kunming in Yunnan Province. It extends southward To Vientiane, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, with a total length of 1,035 km.
After opening the entire route, this makes the trip from Vientiane to the China-Laos border take only 3 hours, compared to the travel time of the previous two days and the next flight to Kunming. It is not far and easy to travel to.
2) High-speed railway line connecting Jakarta to Bandung. (Jakarta-Bandung High-Speed Railway) is the flagship project of the “One Belt, One Road Initiative.” In January 2016, Xi Jinping sent a letter to the President of Indonesia. God bless the construction of the high-speed railway from Jakarta to Bandung.
High-speed rail from Jakarta-Bandung was opened in October 2023, and is the first high-speed rail line in Indonesia and Southeast Asia. The speed of trains running on this route is designed to travel at a maximum speed of 350 kilometers per hour. The construction of the entire railway line uses Chinese technology and Chinese standards after the opening of the line. The flight between Jakarta and Bandung takes just over 40 minutes, compared to the previous three hours.
3) Colombo Port City It is a model project for the One Belt One Road Initiative. In September 2014, Xi Jinping visited Sri Lanka. The leaders of the two countries cut the ribbon. He laid the foundation stone for a construction project
The coastal city of Colombo is being established as a special economic zone using reclaimed sea sand in a new area of 2.69 square kilometers in the heart of Colombo. It is a high-end center that integrates finance. Tourism, logistics, IT, etc., which is the gateway to South Asia. The project is expected to be completed in 2041.
4) China-Maldives Friendship Bridge “Sinmali Bridge” It is a symbolic project that marks the “21st Century Maritime Silk Road” as the first sea bridge in the Maldives.
China-Maldives Friendship Bridge Opened in August 2018, the 1.3-kilometre-long bridge connects the capital islands of Male and the island where the airport is located. Citizens and tourists can move between these islands in just 5 minutes.
5) Economic and trade cooperation zone between China and Egypt TEDA-Suez is a cooperation project linking the Belt and Road Initiative with the Suez Canal Economic Corridor, and in January 2016, senior leaders of the two countries held the opening ceremony of the Suez Canal Economic and Trade Cooperation Zone.
As of June 2023, the Suez Canal Economic and Trade Cooperation Zone had attracted 145 companies, with an investment value of more than $1.7 billion, according to the data. He collected more than $200 million in taxes.
6) Senegal is the first country in West Africa to sign the cooperation agreement within the framework of the Belt and Road Initiative. With China In February 2014, the President of Senegal visited China. It signed a contract to build a wrestling stadium with President Xi Jinping, and in 2018, Xi Jinping visited Senegal and handed the Senegalese president the “golden key” to the wrestling stadium.
Wrestling is Senegal’s prized possession. This project is a symbol of friendship between the two countries. The wrestling arena has an area of 18,000 square metres, and can accommodate 20,000 spectators at one time. It is the first modern boxing arena in Africa.
7) November 2019, President Xi Jinping visited Greece and came directly to it Port of Piraeus Learn about the Belt and Road Initiative cooperation projects. The Port of Piraeus is now the fourth largest container port in Europe.
8) Industrial zone between China and Belarus (China-Belarusian Industrial Park) is located on the outskirts of Minsk. It was called the “Precious Pearl” of the Silk Road Economic Belt. In May 2015, Xi Jinping visited Belarus. He is currently inspecting this industrial zone, the industrial zone between China and Belarus. The project attracts more than 110 companies to participate, and the total investment budget of the project is more than 1.3 billion dollars. American.
9) Hydroelectric power station (Kirchner-Sibenik Hydropower Project) in Argentina President Jinping visited Argentina in 2014 and signed a joint project to build a hydropower plant over the Santa Cruz River. It is the largest hydraulic engineering project in Argentina. It is expected that the average amount of electricity produced annually will reach 4,950 kilowatt-hours. Meeting the daily water needs of 1.5 million Argentine families. It can be exported abroad
10) China-Papua New Guinea Friendship School “BUTUKA ACADEMY” In November 2018, Xi Jinping visited Papua New Guinea. He attended the opening ceremony of a school that China provided funding to help build.
“Subtly charming student. Pop culture junkie. Creator. Amateur music specialist. Beer fanatic.”