Everything You Need to Know to Vote in the 2018 Peterborough Municipal Election

The Peterborough municipal election is upon us! Online voting is now open (as of October 9, 2018), and the election date is October 22, 2018.

This article will provide all the information you need to find out if you’re eligible to vote, get registered, find your polling station, and vote.


Am I eligible to vote?

You can vote in the City of Peterborough if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen
  • at least 18 years old
  • a resident in the City of Peterborough or a non-resident of the City of Peterborough, but you or your spouse own or rent property in the City
  • not prohibited from voting under any law


Am I registered to vote?

Voter ID Cards have been mailed out and should already be in your mailbox. If you haven’t received a card, you may still be on the list.

Fill out this form to check if you’re already registered. If you’re not, the site will prompt you to register. You will need to upload a form of identification showing your name and address in Peterborough.

You can also register in person at the Clerk’s Office at City Hall (500 George Street North) or you can register on the day you vote at your polling location.


How do I vote?

There are multiple ways to vote, both in advance and on election day.

Online voting

Online voting is open from October 9 to 22, 2018. Click this link to vote.

First you will be asked to register for online voting, using your Voter ID number, which is listed on your Voter ID Card or on your online registration. It will then send you a pin number, which you can use to vote.

Advance voting

There are a number of advance polls set up for voting before election day.

A list of polls offering advance voting can be found here (advance voting dates listed in red) and here.

Bring your Voter ID Card or proof of registration, as well as a form of identification showing your name and address in Peterborough.

Election day

Election day is October 22, 2018. Polls will be open from 10am to 8pm.

Voters can go to any polling place in Peterborough. See the list of polling locations. There will also be polling locations set up at retirement homes (at the bottom of the list) around the city on election day.

Bring your Voter ID Card or proof of registration, as well as a form of identification showing your name and address in Peterborough.

Can students vote?

If you’re a student at Trent University and Fleming College, you are eligible to vote, as long as you live in Peterborough, rent here, or live in student residence.

You still need to bring a form of identification showing your name and address in Peterborough, which can include a copy of your lease; a hydro, water, gas, phone, or cable bill; or a document showing your campus residence.

Students can also vote in advance – either by voting online, or by going to the advance polls at Trent and Fleming. Advance voting at Trent University will take place at the Student Centre on October 16, 2018 (12pm to 5pm); and at Fleming College in the front foyer of the Sutherland Campus on October 15, 2018 (12pm to 5pm).


Who can I vote for?

See the complete list of candidates running for Mayor, City Councillor, and School Board Trustee, or take a look at our handy infographic for visual reference:

Election Guide

Forms of identification

In order to vote, you will need to present a form of identification showing your name and your residence in the City of Peterborough.

Here is a complete list of acceptable forms of identification:

  • Ontario driver’s licence
  • Ontario Health Card (photo card)
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)
  • Cancelled personalized cheque
  • Mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario
  • Insurance policy or insurance statement
  • Loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution
  • Document issued or certified by a court in Ontario
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency or such a government
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)
  • Income tax assessment notice
  • Child tax benefit statement
  • Statement of employment insurance benefits paid T4E
  • Statement of old age security T4A (OAS)
  • Statement of Canada Pension Plan benefits T4A (P)
  • Canada Pension Plan statement of contributions
  • Statement of direct deposit for Ontario Works
  • Statement of direct deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board statement of benefits T5007
  • Property tax assessment
  • Credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement
  • CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
  • Hospital card or record
  • Document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a Post secondary institution
  • Document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home
  • Utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission
  • Cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer
  • Transcript or report card from a post-secondary school

We can chip away at telling the stories, like this one, of Another Peterborough on our own but we could really use your financial support.

If you would like to see more stories like this please consider funding us on Patreon.

Fields marked with an * are required
Gabe Pollock

Gabe Pollock

Gabe Pollock is Editor-in-Chief of Electric City Magazine. He is a Peterborough-born freelance writer and editor who has covered Peterborough music and culture since 2012, first on Electric City Live and now in its magaziney successor.